Monday, January 29, 2007

Your 20 minutes

It's said we should sleep at least a good 8 hours a day...come on, its well distributed common knowledge. But lets not fool ourselves, we all know we dont. And if we do, in those wonderful days when no plans show on the horizon, we have a itty bitty tiny sensation that we have lost useful time. At least I do for certain. I never seem to be able to sleep enough. Either I go to bed too late or wake up too early, one or the other, it always seems Im fighting a futile battle against tiredness. And I'm only 23...

Today when I was driving home on the train, I looked up to check out if I havent missed my station and realized my fellow train riders were in the same slumber as I was. Made me think. Five of them were reading a book, which made me feel compelled to them being a reader myself. Others like the blonde well-dressed girl infront of me, were listening to music. Others completing sudoku's, and others, why not, taking a quick nap on the greasy windows of the train.

Surely, like me,
they will have tons of things to do when they get home: shower, make dinner, fold last night laundry, charge your cellie, vege infront of the tv...and finally going back to a short sleep that ends with the hated melody of the alarm clock. The moon comes it's full circle, like Shakespeare said. Again is time to go back to the routine just as tired as you went to bed.

As science improves, we built an endless quantity of therapies to reduce the effects of tiredness. There are plenty "get cured" sessions that revolved around sleep. Of course, an every day girl like me wont spend time or money on that just now, even when I could really use it. So its on my to find an alternative solution, so for starters Ill try with the acient art of meditation and relaxation.

Without their notices, my fellow train riders have already mastered this arts and were growing benefits of it's alternative solutions. Some gain more brain abilities, some more culture, some improve their memory by learning the new mp3 of a singer or other. It was clear to me, my fellows had a headstart. True, nothing beets a warm bed or the right amount of time, but when both seem like a distant dream, and you have to go through 20 minutes drive inevitably, you might as well do something with it. My train fellows knew it, they've sumitted to the routine, came prepared to deal with it and have their 20 minutes awake slumber with an audience of strangers.

Next time it will be:..."Last call!" ...good night ^___^

7 comments:

Nano said...

Muy bién !
Shere es un gema brilliante ^_^

Gustavo Comba said...

I try to get "juice" of my train hours, day by day... but, sometimes it's good to keep this time to flow away and get apart from reality, to be inmersed in our own world.

Sometimes these 20 minutes is all the time we have to think about us without anything distracting us ;-) And this is well spent time.

Anna Bananna said...

Sometimes I like to spend the 30min on the train just realizing that I am sitting on a train and actually travelling. I like to seat in a wagon in the middle of the train and look out the window, there are certain curves on the way that allow you to see the beginning of the train, the curve and some landscape. I love that sensation of movement.

Shere said...

Nano: :)

Gustavo: SO typically you XD!!
Anna: Quite interesting the perspective you mention, I sometimes do wonder about just looking outside the windows...until you get to Sarrià XD

Thanks all for your comments :)

Zouave said...

Congratulations for your post. It was a really pleasant read; I hope to see more soon!

Nothing beats sleeping your required number of hours everyday (which certainly is different for everyone) to stay fresh and ready every morning. I think reading on the train does not trick your mind to make it think it's still sleeping. It's more like a fast way to make it get rid of the idea of being in that warm and cozy bed.

Getting up early and arriving at work before 8 o'clock in the morning can be comforting too. Seeing the sun rise every day in its strongest bronzeish colour surrounded by little fluffy clouds that surrender to its mightiness is just so beautiful that it makes it worth the effort.

Nano said...

I like the philosophical
style this is written in,
you did that very well and captured your thoughts nicely for display in this text. :)

Unfortunately I dont have my 20 minutes on the train, to university it drives mere 5 minutes (imagine that !).
However, this little time is time enough to daydream about Shere smiling at least.

As for the landscape,
most of the time my train drives underground or through an industrial city - not much to see here. :(

Shere said...

Alex:

Thanks for reading! And for your perspective on the benefits of waken up so early! I always wondered how you did it! The sunrise is most appealing...but I have to admit Im a sheets clinger!! if the language even allows that expresion XD!!!

Nano:

Thanks amor for your perspectives :) Be lucky you only have a 5 minutes ride to the uni! Remember when I had almost 2 hours drive :P
;) tsk tsk