Thursday, February 22, 2007

The name of the rose

Let’s face it. Since the first moment parents realize exactly that they are going to be parents, they start thinking about your name. Maybe since before, like in my case, I already know what kind of names I would like for my offspring. A name like mine: a name that means something.

I've always wondered about names and their power, probably because I've been a victim of fate with my own name: Sherezade (Yes, there's like a hundred different ways to write it, but my parents wanted me to have it more easy). Yes, I believe names hold an amount of power that makes you this way or other...or rather that inclines in a direction. In my line of thought, that's why to name a product there's so much work behind the choice. My psychology teacher in high school once told us that Kodak was name that way because the letters the word holds can be pronounce exactly the same in every language. He might have been wrong, but I liked the idea. Sort of a tribute to the B.B. society (Before Babel...hm, no, not the movie...I know Brad Pitt is cute and all, but I'm talking about the myth, the legend, the biblical story).

Those who know me might recall a story I always tell. When I was a little girl I used to go to my mom and tell her that I wanted to change my name, to me it wasn’t a grown ups name. I hated it, it was so different from every one else's, you can imagine what that means that to a kid. I told my mom I wanted to be called Estrella (star) or Escarcha (glitter). God, I'm so thankful now she didn't listen. I grew to like it, because it marks a difference. Let me put is this way: you can know many Johns, many Carolinas, many Jordis...but, exactly how many Sherezades you know? People who haven’t heard of it, have such a hard time learning it, they don’t forget it. And people who do try to find out if I'm a story teller. Teachers always remembered it, to my luck I wasn't a bad student. (If you are reading this, and you don't know about it...Google it)

Knowing now that your name can mean so many things, I stop and wonder how far it can get. Not long ago, I went to Mac Donald’s against my better judgement. After standing in line for a while I finally get the chance to make my order, and what do I find? The smiling guy who is going to place my order, in his yellow t-shirt and red cap, is called Ronald. I stayed staring for 2 minutes, smiling, in shock and awe. He might have 3 last names of grandeur, but to me he will always be Ronald Mac Donald.

So in the possibilities of names, I ask you to wonder about. Umberto Eco in his book this entry is called in honour to explains that what's left of the rose is only the name. If what is left of you is only your name, what would your name mean?

To be the first who throws the rock, I'll do the exercise quoting a song from Oasis:

" As we beg and steal and borrow
Life is hit and miss and this
I Hope, I Think, I Know
If I ever hear the names, you call
And if I stumble catch me when I fall
Cos baby after all
You'll never forget my name".

Your turn!

7 comments:

Nano said...

You should be glad that your parents didnt decide to name you Escarcha,
thats more of a name that would be used in "My little pony" or other toy franchises that include pretty dolls for girls. ;P

Sherezade is a great name,
and although a lot of people have problems pronouncing it or spelling it, this difficulty gives the name its own unique touch.
It is meaningful and can be used in so many different ways (Shere, Shereza, Sherry, Sherezade..).
I could really tell you 1001 tales about this name.

Most important of all however is that this name describes the person I love - to me it doesnt matter if you are called Escarcha or Sherezade, because your name doesnt define you but you define your name.

Sherezade: the name of the rose ?
In this case yes.

Shere said...

That's very sweet :) Like my roses. Thank you for waiting until I posted. You are the best :).
-Shere

Anna Bananna said...

Shere thanks for your post. My name is extremely normal and I love it because everyone I know can spell it and pronounce without a problem. :-) I guess part of hapiness is about accepting and enjoying what you have.
Tomorrow I will give you the book Freakonomics, it has a very interesting chapter about names. I am sure you will enjoy it. Thanks again!

Shere said...

Anna! thanks for writing! I guess growing up and living with a name like yours is a total different experience! All the Annas I've meet are outgoing-easygoing people. So this name holds a cool conception to me. I'll check out the book!

Gustavo Comba said...

Shere, I'm afraid this time I don't agree with you :(

Almost all names means something. You only know what you like when you grow up. You are telling us the same thing: you've started to like your own name after you grown up! And you like it (I like it too) because of culture.

Anyway, the really important thing is "marking the difference" with whatever you are, not with your name (and you do so). So... I think your name helps you in being what you are, because you like it, because you like to have an uncommon name. I'm sure it will be difficult to you, but you should imagine yourself with a "common" name (as, for example, Maria) to truly understand what I'm (hardly) trying to say you...

Names doesn't have any power, people "wearing" the names gives power to them. Think a while about people you love/admire... Albert Einstein (Alberto), Ludwig Van Beethoven (Luis), José Saramago, Jorge Luis Borges, Umberto Eco... Even Alexandros (from Macedonia) gives meaning to his name!

People are not products, may be the artists are, and that's why they usually choose an "artistic name". I try to base my merchandising upon stronger things than names and slogans :D

I think what Umberto Eco is trying to say us is completely the opposite thing! :D He is saying (IMHO) that nothing last forever, and everything will be dust. Only the names will remain... but the names are nothing, are empty without "the thing".

By the way, my name is one of the most populars in my generation and all my teachers have learned my name and family name in one or two days of classes! Guess why. ;-)

Dinkus said...

Nice quote of a good song from an album that the band doesn't even like. Haha.

Yeah, in my life I try to be more than just a name to people I really care about. Or just in general actually, I think we all asign meaning to names in our own way.

taller de erizos said...

"Escarcha" does not mean glitter, but frost. Quite a differentent semantic field. Glitter is "brillo". Though one can imagine a frosty glitter under the moonshine...

A Spanish-speaking lurker (looking for images of Sherezade)