Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The historian...and the power of the mind

Long ago I was told that I was supersticious, even before I had fully realized it myself. I've always been one to enjoy legends and unsolved misteries, to realize that the imagination can go miles where science fails. Supersticious? Maybe to a degree, as part of this whole misteries curiosity I've always had. Maybe always the simple answer is the right one, but certainly not the most fascinating.

Last week I started reading a book called The Historian. Like Kafka on the Shore, it was a book that followed me around, and I always wanted to read. Finally, the book followed me to the office, and rested on a coworkers desk, where I found it and finally bought it for myself, of course in original (english, in this case).

I had it around while I finished another book. Finally I did a day I was coming out of belly dance class, talking with my teacher and my classmates. My teacher starts talking about Transilvania, and going over with her friends to visit. She tells us she went to the tourist site Dracula castle, comments is not worth while and goes on to another story. The comment stays in the back of my mind, and I go on to the train station and to read my book on my way back home.

Three pages take me to realize precisely that this book is about Dracula. Not only that, but about a quest to find out truth in an old worn legend, about supersticions, about the limits of an investigation and your own, about the power of the mind, about believing the unbelievable, about giving mistery a chance and about growing up.

I wont relate more on the book, not to reveal precious information. But I invite you to give mistery a chance, and to read this book. Here I give you one of it's lines:

"To you, perceptive reader, I bequeath my story"

2 comments:

Nano said...

I've just read this blog entry,
its as well written as always.

I never got confronted with 'The historian' myself, and I probably never will.
Thats what I get for my ignorance regarding books ;)

-Nano

Shere said...

I'll make you read it XD muahahahahaha
-Shere