Sunday, September 23, 2007

People's Theories

Earlier this week I was eating out with some coworkers, when one of them mentioned how it was a already made choice to every one to choose Coca Cola for drink when being asked by the waiter. I pondered quickly about this, being one who had in fact choosen Coca Cola, and it took me only a couple of seconds to argue back to his theory, based on the fact that what I wanted to drink at that moment was prescily it. He rebute saying that it was most typically a different way, and I explained back that it was not, that I take the few miliseconds needed to decide on what I want to drink when being asked.

I'm not "reinventing the wheel" when I say that not only everyone else's thoughts are different, but the basic structure that leads to those thoughts is. When being ask what I want, I think about it and say what I want. To my coworker in the beverage deparment it wasnt so for most people. That's his theory. He got me thinking on all the "self made theories" of those who have crossed paths with me, and I have a few in my record to recall.

  • The basic what comes first while showering theory: shampoo, soap, shower gel...
  • The "If I see the movie, I dont need the book" one.
  • The "I'll quit smoking when the right time comes".
  • The "museums are only for tourists" one.
  • One of my favorites: the "I don't have time for reading" one.
  • The "why leaving my parents house to live on my own".
  • The "Oreos are better without the cream" one.
  • The "I will not marry because marriage is obsolete".
  • The "everyone else's tires are smaller than mine".
  • The "good looking girls are better off than smart girls".
  • My own one: "I cant handle everything at the same time"
And so on and so forth. In the book I'm reading (yes, I DO have time for reading even with my 32 hours a day schedule) Murakami explains throw Miss Saeki that theories need their comprobation, that is to say that they are only that, until proven wrong. I stopped to wonder, people's theories lead parts of their behaviour and in the long run, of their lives. That is to say again that by a preconception of something that you have formed by previous experiences or just by thoughts, a part of your life is lead.

Then the question forged: Are you missing out on something? Are you better of with a wall of theories blocking the new or unexpected? The true end to all this is that there isn't any. Unlike in Kafka on the Shore, there wont be any entrance stone opening and closing. If you dont give yourself the chance to review and discard old and form new theories, you truly havent advanced or grown. That's what it is about, is it not? Changing.

Yesterday while driving with a friend, she mentioned how she was up and foward with change and her mother wasn't. She made me think if I was or wasn't, if those around me were or weren't. I still have long to figure it out...

What about your theories? What are they? Why are they? Care to tell?...Don't be shy!

4 comments:

Nano said...

Hola Shere !

You did a very well written blog entry there, then again you never disappoint in that regard.

My theories ? Uhm....dont get me started, I bet I have enough to fill a book of my own with them.

Your favorite theory "I dont have time for reading" really hit me.
Ouch.

I remember I used to say that too although it might not be completely true.
Sure I could read, but I'm rather spending my time doing other things which I think of as more important:
Talking to you, drawing, writing and working out for example.

In fact I 'work' so much on creating things in my freetime that I barely get the chance to enjoy reading or watching anything.
But thats fine with me.
Somehow I find pleasure in the process of working on something,
more than I do by 'consuming' something.
Also it is more rewarding.

-If I draw I have a drawing I can call my own
-If I workout I have a physical improvement
-If I write I brought some of my thoughts down to paper

Do I 'consume' media at all then ?
Yes ! I always keep myself updated on the news and I play videogames with a passion.
But not for long usually:
I find myself quickly dropping the controller after a short gaming session, because it somehow gave me an idea to draw or to write about.
(Especially several orchestral game soundtracks are a source of inspiration to me).

So I'll stick with "I dont want to have time for reading" from now on. ;)

Shere said...

If you read, it improves your mind, your vocabulary, your culture, your imagination, your creativity....

Interesting how you see reading as consuming.
-Shere

deepbane said...

some of mines...

- if you want, you can. there's no point in saying you can't
- i'll start my diet tomorrow
- nobody likes taking decisions, but everybody has to (the show must go on...)

let me copy one of yours 'todo al mismo tiempo no se puede' XD

too late at night for me to think of any others

Shere said...

- nobody likes taking decisions, but everybody has to (the show must go on...)<--- A really good one!

Thanks for dropping by!
-Shere