Monday, December 3, 2007

More on songs, and of Sophia

Those who know me a bit, know that I'm a fan of Sophia Coppola. My fanness was consolidated the day I discussed Marie Antoinette with a friend, and he expressed my feelings on this director and her work so clearly, that I could rest in peace knowing I had a co-defendor of her work out there. From then on, I picked her out as my favorite director. Only 3 movies, I know, I know. But I feel I understand her. And that's enough for me.

Tonight I was surfing the web in one of my nights of insomnia, and I googled her, for the fun of it. Wikipedia tells me she directer White Stripe's cover I just don't know what to do with myself video. I so didn't know, I was shocked! so I youtubed it. I remembered it a little, Kate Moss in black and white. Very photographic and iconic, very Kate Moss, very Rock and Roll, very the 90's, very well embeded with the song.

Many people talk bad about her, googling her I found this critique of Marie Antoinette saying she lacks talent. Well, certainly every one is entitled to their opinion. But those of us who had seen beyond, I invite to rewatch all her movies and check out the rest of her work. To me, she's a director, an artist who by has an exceptional inside knowledge of hollywood, film making, icons, stars. This is a girl who was born in this world. Those who want a Godfather 4 from her, couldn't be more wrong, that is not what she's offering, thank g_d. She's not daddy's little girl. She can stand in her own two feet.

To me, she introduces to film language a series of elements that it has been missing for the last decade. Enough of amazing effects, and those rare and well deserving few scripts that now and then surface from the rest. This is another entire perspective, as I said, the perspective of an insider. One who has her name made by birth, who is not worrying about making the cut, one who is not worried about breaking the laws.

I invite all of you to review Marie Antoinette with this perspective, to feel the film rather than to judge it, to understand the acting, to respect the work with the images. I also invite you all to check out her video, and ode to Kate Moss.

1 comment:

Nano said...

Quick ! Someone needs to give Kate Moss a few Cheeseburgers ;P she is too thin.
The spanish princess Letizia (that is her name I believe), has a similar issue.
She also dropped in weight a lot recently, which is far beyond healthy (and far beyond attractive too).
This results in her looking like a skeleton walking.
Sure, its cool to look like that on Helloween...but not the rest of the year.

I dont like when people get THAT thin, that's got to be unhealthy.
The trend that developes of getting extra 'bolemic' thin totally sucks.
Then again I dont like when people get too fat either.

The real ideal weight is not the one of a model (hell no... x_x), but somewhere in the middle of the extremes fat and thin.
Nowadays it seems we only know the words 'fat' and 'thin',
and it bothers me that people dont realize that there is something in between that.

There is no shame in not looking like a model.
We can all live healthy without having to live an eternal diet to keep model measurements, and without having problems because of being overweight.

Live between the extremes and live healthy and happy, people ;)

P.S: Te amo, Shere

P.P.S: Sorry if I went a little offtopic here, but I had an opinion I wanted to share about Kate Moss.
Maybe we can check out more of the directors work later. :)